The Association of Professional Landscape Designers, APLD, is an international non-profit organization dedicated to establishing the highest standards for the landscape design profession. The Washington Chapter (APLDWA) is the oldest chapter in the nation, having formed in 2000.
Along with being a member of a professional group that continually strives to set its members apar from other practitioners who do not have the same level of education or professional qualifications, there are numerous benefits.
- APLD’s certification program offers professional recognition to landscape designers based on established standards of excellence, the only landscape design certification program in the United States. For more information: http://apld.org/?p=certification
- Events – approximately 12 local events a year offering professional growth, networking, and CEUs.
- National and WA chapter educational webinars.
- The Designer , the APLD national quarterly publication. Monthly National and Washington Chapter newsletters.
- Discounted fee to the International Landscape Design Conference.
- Eligibility to enter APLD’s International Landscape Design Awards competition for both professional and student members.
- Chapter Members Only Yahoo Group chat room, a great resource for topics of interest.
Business & Legislative Advocacy
- Advocacy–Monitor and update members on pertinent national and state legislative and regulatory changes, which can affect our ‘right to practice’ landscape design.
- Sample proposals, contracts and documents, customized for individual businesses.
- WA Chapter informs members about local programs, i.e. Green Factor, Stormwater Management Codes, Low Impact Development (LID) methods of practice.
- Listing in the APLDWA website Find a Designer Directory for Professional members.
- Individual member/company page on both national and chapter APLD websites.
- Recognition of member accomplishments, i.e. NWFGS participation, awards, activities, publications.
- APLD professional membership. Permitted use of APLD logo on print and website material.
Certified members may utilize the APLD acronym following their name in all personal, professional marketing material.
APLD offers two renewal periods of either January 1 – December 31 or July 1 – June 30. New members do not receive a prorated amount as applications received from October 1 – December 31 will be included in the January 1 – December 31 membership cycle and applications received from April 1 – June 30 will be included in the July 1 – June 30 membership cycle.
APLD MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES
In an effort to raise the level of professionalism within the APLD and differentiate ourselves as landscape designers, new membership levels were introduced at the beginning of 2016. The membership levels and the requirements for each are as follows:
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP LEVELS:
GENERAL MEMBERSHIP LEVELS: